Consumer Eligibility Guidelines
The HEROS II program is sponsored by the South Coast Air Quality Management District in conjunction with The Foundation for California Community Colleges.
- Total Base Scrap-Only Incentive: $1,000
- Total Low-Income Eligible Scrap-Only Incentive: $1,500
- Total Base Scrap and Replacement Incentive: $3,000
- Total Low-Income Eligible Scrap and Replacement Incentive: $4,000.
You have the option to scrap only (and not receive a vehicle replacement incentive)
Consumer may be:
- An individual or
- A small business as defined by the U.S. Small Business Administration
Consumer must own a vehicle that is:
- Currently registered as an operational vehicle in a South Coast Air Quality Management District zip code. This includes zip codes in all of orange County and the urban portions of Los Angeles, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties. To check your zip code, visit the
South Coast AQMD website
- Continuously registered in a South Coast Air Management District Zip Code as an operational vehicle for the past 2 years with exceptions
- You will need to provide verification by submitting a copy of current vehicle registration and a copy of registration from previous year.
- Vehicle cannot be within 90 days of normal smog check cycle
- May not be currently operating under a smog check waiver, repair cost waiver or economic hardship extension; and
- Tampered vehicles are ineligible
- Salvaged vehicles are not eligible
- Vehicles owned by federal, state, or local agencies are not eligible
- May only scrap one vehicle per owner or joint owner
Free Smog Check Testing May be Required
- You'll be notified after you complete an application whether you will need to have a free smog check test. No testing is required if you receive a letter in the mail requesting participation of your vehicle in the HEROS2 program.
- Testing guidelines for those who have not received a letter requesting participation in HEROS2:
Scrap Only or Scrap and Replace
||Scrap and Replace
||2001 Model Year and Newer
||1993 Model Year and Newer
|Testing Not Required
||2000 Model Year and Older
||1992 Model Year and Older
- If your vehicle is subject to smog check testing, failing the test might not be sufficient to establish eligibility. The HEROS2 program is targeting the highest polluting vehicles.
Consumer should complete and sign a Consumer Application providing vehicle information and verify that the consumer meets applicable eligibility guidelines. Once the consumer has submitted the Consumer Application and received an Approval Notice, he or she will be assigned a Validation Code, Offer Expiration Date, and Approved Incentive amount that will be accessible online by participating Dealerships and Dismantlers.
Consumer must scrap (retire) their high-emitting vehicle by transferring title to a participating Dealership or Dismantler and provide proof of ownership and photo identification.
Low Income Eligibility
Consumer must meet the following Income Eligibility Guidelines in order to be eligible for the Low-Income Scrap and Replacement Incentives:
Low Income Eligibility
One of the following documents is required to be presented to a participating automobile dealership or a representative of the South Coast Air Quality Management District:
|Number of People in Household*
||Max Annual Gross Household Income
||Max Monthly Gross Household Income
|For more than 8, add the following amount for each individual
|* Household means all family members or other persons who reside together and share common living expenses. Include yourself!
- A copy of Federal (1040 Form) or State (540 Form) Income Tax Form from the most recent year
- A copy of a paycheck stub reflecting year-to-date earnings, hours worked, and hourly wage
- A letter from the issuing agency stating that you receive one of these benefits:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- State Supplemental Payments (SSP)
- California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWorKS)
- General Assistance (GA) or General Relief (GR)
- Publicly subsidized medical coverage (Medi-Cal)
- A copy of one of the following income verification documents:
- Unemployment, veterans benefits, or disability check issued to you within the past 60 days
- Bank statement issued to you within the past 60 days reflecting a deposit of Social Security or Public Assistance funds
For scrap and replace, HEROS2 low income documentation must be provided to a participating automobile dealership. For scrap only, HEROS 2 low income documentation can be sent to the South Coast Air Quality Management District via FAX at (855) 834-2532, or by mail:
The Foundation for California Community Colleges
1102 Q Street, Suite 3500
Sacramento, CA 95811
Contact the Call Center at (800) 622-7733 if you have questions.
Additional Vehicle Requirements
Qualifying Vehicles for Scrap Incentive
Retirement vehicles owned by federal, state, or local agencies are not eligible. Specially Constructed Vehicles (SPCNs) are not eligible.
The vehicle to be scrapped must:
- Be gasoline or diesel powered and light- or medium-duty with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of up to 10,000 pounds.
The vehicle to be scrapped must also be in the following condition:
- Vehicle is capable of being driven from dealership to dismantler under its own power
- All doors are present and in place
- The hood and dashboard are present and in place
- The windshield is in place
- The driver’s seat is present and in place
- The interior pedals are operational
- At least one side window glass is present and in place
- Exhaust system is present and in place
- At least one bumper and all side and/or quarter panels are present and in place
- Vehicle drivability is not affected by any body, steering, or suspension damage
- At least one headlight, one tail light, and one brake light are present and in place
- Vehicles starts readily through ordinary means; no use of starting fluids/external booster batteries
- Vehicle is capable of being driven a minimum of 25 feet under its own power, both in forward and reverse
Qualifying Replacement Vehicles
The Replacement Vehicle must be:
- Four (4) model years or newer (e.g. 2009 or newer), or eight (8) model years or newer (e.g. 2005 or newer), if you meet income eligibility guidelines and
- Meet the following minimum fuel economy ratings:
Minimum Fuel Economy Ratings
||Minimum EPA Combined Fuel Economy Rating (mpg)
|Fleet Average Fuel Economy Ratings for new and used cars and trucks may be found at www.fueleconomy.gov.
Vehicle Eligibility Information
Disbursement of Incentives
If a consumer chooses to scrap only, the base scrap-only incentive of $1,000 will be provided by the participating dismantler at the time the vehicle is relinquished. The additional $500 for low income-qualified participants will be mailed to the consumer by the South Coast Air Quality Management District after low-income documentation has been received and verified. All questions concerning the low-income eligibility requirements should be directed to the Call Center at (800) 622-7733.
If a consumer chooses to Scrap and Replace, Scrap and Replacement Incentives are paid to the consumer through the participating dealership as a reduction to the fair-trade negotiated sales price of an eligible Replacement Vehicle. The sales contract for the purchase of the eligible Replacement Vehicle must clearly note the Incentives as a form of payment toward the fair-trade negotiated sales price. Low-income documentation must be provided to the participating automobile dealership.
Yes, I meet the guidelines and would like to proceed with my application.